Matisse

In Maple 1, we are learning about Henri Matisse.  We have enjoyed looking at some of his paintings and pictures, marvelling at his joyful use of colour, shape and pattern.  These images have inspired our own art work.  In this blog, we are going to use his paintings to inspire writing.  In pairs, we will create first drafts of descriptive paragraphs inspired by some of Matisse’s pictures.

Use these questions to start your thinking:

What colours can you see?  What is happening?  How does it make you feel?  How do you think Matisse was feeling when he created it?  What does it remind you of?  How does this image connect with other pictures you have seen?  How does it connect with the real world?  What story does this inspire?

When you are ready to write:

How will your first sentence hook your reader in?  What do you want your reader to feel?  What do you want your reader to think?

15 thoughts on “Matisse

1. The sorrows of the king
    I love doing art it really means a lot .This picture is very interesting and I think I’m going to love this half term arts lessons. I like Matisse’s art work that he has done because not only he paints he uses paper and cuts it out and sticks it on the paper. Then gets his helpers to puts it on the wall.

This picture is called the sorrows of the king but sorrow means sad but the picture shows happiness and music playing and good times. That is why I like this picture so, so,so much. I predicted the picture is about when the kings wife dies and he feels sad and they throw a party for him with music and food and games and lots and lots and lots of really fun stuff to make him feel better about him self. In the picture it is really colourful. There are lots of different bright colours.

2. The Lagoon by Henri Matisse

The lagoon is a beautiful and imaginative piece of work. It has bright colours, shapes and patterns of corral shaped pieces. It all makes for a lovely work of art and it is called the art of painting with scissors. This means Matisse would wash the paper with paint and cut it with scissors in different shapes and pin or stick it down to paper or the wall.

3. In this Matisse painting, I see amazing colour coding and how it describes the image of a circus, and with the effect of the bright colours it reminds me of a good time.
    The painting of the person doing gymnastics is very inspirational and it makes me see how talented people are. By Gabi and Karmen

4. In Matisse’s wife of Poseidon picture I thought it was quite strange with weird and majestic patterns. Also I can see there’s see weed and he lives under the sea. I can see some colourful coral which reminds me of the sea and water that sparkles in the day light. And there is a curl that reminds me of a fossil.

5. The Snail
    This picture is very colourful and strange for a very famous artist to paint! It kind of looks like a young child has come up with the picture. I like that Henri Matisse paints in lots of different styles and that he puts a lot of thought into every piece of work that he produces. I am inspired by his work and will in the future present work by him.
    Solid shapes can also be very descriptive to other famous artists. I hope that other people love his work! I really enjoy how he has taken a lot of time into a simple painting, it shows that some of the smallest hidden details can change a picture entirely.

6. The Fall Of ICARUS…
    I wonder if the red spot on his chest is a heart. I think the yellow shapes on the blue background are stars. The blue background I think is Space. Finally, I think the black man is a flying person who wants to go to space or wants to travel the world. But the man could be the person of the future to go and live in space or he could be taking photos for scientists to look at the earth,Planets,stars and BLACK HOLE. Also I wonder if Matisse imagined this picture in his mind. But the red thing on his body of Icarus is where someone might of shot him and he wanted to get to safety. Is the Fall of Icarus true?

7. We are doing Panel with mask by Henri Matisse. The colours that we can see are blues, greens, pinks, reds, yellows and orange. We can also see two small faces. The middle part of Matisse’s drawing with scissors reminds us of the sea because it has blue wavy sides and different coral inside of the waves. The top part reminded us of claws for its sharp points. We think this is a very fluorescent piece of art. It makes me feel euphoric. We think Matisse was feeling bright and ecstatic while creating this. We also think that he made in while he was disabled because it looks like it has been cut out with scissors. It connects with the other pictures because Matisse has used his imagination.

8. This picture has a mysterious blue background. The day is slowly turning into a misty night. The moon is a bright as a sun burning sun .

9. GOLDFISH BY HENRI MATISSE
    In this picture ,
    the painting is very colorful . Matisse has blended the colors to make it look like its real.
    It looks like he has sketched it first, then lightly painted over it so it would make it stand out.
    His colors for the gold fish are very shiny. He created the color by making a light orange and yellow mixed with normal orange ! With the flowers, it looks like he had Paradise on paper because they look delicate, dazzling and delightful! Matisse has made the table with the gold fish on very dark but with strips of grey to make it look like a smooth table . We like how it is combined with the surrounding!

10. Colourful Sheafs
    Its like a leaf from the future. I think its going to explode out of the picture, going in every direction. Colours like rose red and turquoise, a rainbow of seaweed with smaller leaves growing in size to larger ones at the top given the impression of a 3D effect . Do you experience the picture like us ? To us it makes us happy.

11. Horse and Clown
    In this picture we see an inexplicable image. This image is a horse, but there’s no clown? Where’s the clown? The title says Horse and Clown but we still don’t know where the elusive clown is. All of the colours are profoundly incandescent. The extraordinary thing about this picture is either the horse has a disability with only 2 legs, or it only shows half of its body. The yellow objects look like underwater plants.

12. The red interior by Henri Matisse

On the bright blue table, there was a vase with what looked liked palm leaves inside. The palm leaves came from the palm tree outside. Somebody might have brought them inside to make their house smell beautiful.The crystal clear table rocked like an earthquake. The door opened when the flowers sprung up like it was the start of spring, leaves reappeared roughly as the door shut quickly again.

13. The silence that lives in the house.

This piece of work is amazing. It has imaginative colours and shapes. The name reminds me of Hawaii and peace also I think that there is know one else inside the house because they would be shown in the picture. I predict that the house is ancient and old because of the coulors and patterns. Henri Matisse is amazing! by Lilly and Jimmy .

14. La perruche et la sirene

La perruche et la sirene means the parrot and the mermaids. We think the bright colors represent the neon colored feathers on a parrot and the odd wiggly shapes represent the mermaids tails. We think the picture that Matisse made is made with scissors and paper.

15. Portrait of Lydia Delectorskaya by Henri Matisse

As the unusual face of the woman glared up and down and all around, half of this womans face was yellow and the other half was blue. Half of her hair is grassy green and the other half is light green. Half of her jacket is black and the other half is dark blue.
    This womans is unusual and you can tell that she likes colours because she is multi coloured.